Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Soaked Oatmeal


Oatmeal.  Love this stuff.  I could seriously eat it for breakfast every morning.  Oh wait, I do.  My 18 month old and I are oatmeal buddies.  We love our oatmeal in the morning.  

What are the benefits to soaking your oatmeal?  

All grains, beans and legumes contain something called phytic acid in the outer layer or bran.  This phytic acid can block absorption of essential vitamins and minerals in your food.  Soaking allows enzymes to break down and neutralize a large portion of the phytic acid so you can absorb the minerals in your food. Soaking also allows gluten and other hard to digest proteins to become more easily digestible.

This recipe has become a favorite of mine.  I love the soaking method because not only does it make your breakfast more nutrient dense and easy to digest but it creates a deliciously smooth and creamy oatmeal that cooks up in mere minutes.  I like to start my next batch soaking while I'm cooking my oatmeal every morning.   It's a great way to muti-task.




Soaked Oatmeal
nourishing-bites.blogspot.com
(adapted from this recipe)

2 cups old fashioned oats
2 cups filtered water
2 tablespoons chia seeds*
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons wheat or spelt flour
pinch of salt

1. 12 to 24 hours before breakfast combine all your ingredients into a mason jar and cover.
2. In the morning pour contents from mason jar into a pot and add another 1.5 - 2 cups water.
3.  Cook on medium high heat until oatmeal comes to a boil and thickens, about five minutes, stirring regularly.
4. Serve with your favorite toppings.  We love to add a little bit of ghee and raw honey to ours.  Delicious!

Printable Recipe


-Amy


*Chia seeds are chock full of healthy omega fats, protein, antioxidants, and dietary fiber.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amy! Welcome to the world of blogging! I sure hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Looking forward to seeing more posts! I found your blog when your sister posted it on Facebook. I don't know your sister but we have a facebook friend in common. Isn't the internet a small world? Again, welcome to the world of blogging, you're in for quite a ride. Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your new blog! How exciting! I have wanted to create a healthy food blog, too. Maybe I can submit a guest post? :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...