Monday, May 6, 2013

Vegetable Stir Fry


I always say that I don't like to cook, but that doesn't mean I can't cook.  I took some cooking classes in college where I learned a few tricks and I'm good at following a recipe, but I by no means have a natural talent for cooking.  I'm not one of those people that can throw a bunch of random things in a pot and, voila, have a gourmet meal.  I'm excited to say though that I came up with this recipe all on my own.  I'm still not sure how it all came together for dinner one night but it is delicious and a regular meal at our house.  It's one of those meals that you go back to for seconds even though you're so full because it just. tastes. so. good.  I think the ginger is the key to the sauce.  It adds such a great flavor and the crunchy water chestnuts can't be beat.

We try and eat meat only a few nights a week at our house, which makes this one of our favorite vegetarian meals.  If you're thinking you might want to sneak some meat into this one I would recommend trying it without.  There are so many other yummy things in this stir fry that you'll never miss the meat.





Vegetable Stir Fry
nourishing-bites.blogspot.com

Sauce:
2 tablespoons organic corn or tapioca starch
2 tablespoons coconut or brown sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce* (I like using Bragg Liquid Aminos)
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon sesame or coconut oil
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon ginger
2-3 cloves garlic, minced

Vegetables:
1 medium onion, chopped
6-8 carrots, peeled and cut into coins
12 ounce bella mushrooms, sliced
1 red bell pepper, cut into pieces
16 ounce bag of frozen broccoli
5 ounce can sliced water chestnuts, drained

For the sauce:

1. In a small pot whisk together corn starch and sugar.
2. Add remaining ingredients and whisk over medium heat until sauce thickens.
3. Remove from heat and pour over prepared stir fry vegetables.

For the vegetables:
1. Add 1 tablespoon coconut oil to a large pot and heat on stove until melted.  Add onion, carrots, and mushrooms.  Cook until onions become translucent and carrots are slightly soft.
2. Add bell pepper and broccoli.  Cook until broccoli is soft and thoroughly warm and all liquid had been cooked off, about 10 minutes.
3. Add water chestnuts and cook for 2 minutes more. Stir is stir fry sauce and serve over rice. 


Did you know?
*The ancient Chinese considered soybeans inedible and toxic.  It wasn't until they discovered how to ferment and process them properly into miso, tempeh, and natto that soybeans became a part of the Asian diet.  When prepared correctly soybeans are a power food but unfortunately in America unhealthful soy is found it most processed foods and is disastrous to our health.  When buying soy sauce quality is important.  Be sure to buy one that has been fermented or naturally brewed.  I recommend Nama Shoyu.  To learn more about soy read Kaayla T. Daniel's book The Whole Soy Story.

-Amy

1 comment:

  1. YUM! Love this recipe! This would be perfect to link-up to my new series - "Create It Thursday." It's live now! http://www.lambertslately.com/2013/05/create-it-thursday-1.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...