Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Caramelized Brussels Sprouts


I still remember the first time my mom made Brussels sprouts for dinner.  It was actually my very health conscious younger sister who suggested that my mom make them.  They didn't look appetizing at all.  It was probably a subconscious thing because I had only heard awful things about Brussels sprouts.  As my family was sitting down to dinner that night I was heading out the door to work.  I usually enjoyed my mom's meals and was sad when I had to miss them but that night I was glad to get get to work.  I never did try the Brussels sprouts.

However, years later and the invention of Pinterest lead me to mouth watering photos of Brussels sprouts.  They just looked. so. good. and I decided that I was just going to have to try them.  I'm so glad I did!  Pinterest you have changed my life.  Brussels sprouts you are delicious!

Brussels sprouts are part of the cruciferous family, which I talked a little bit about when I posted my roasted cauliflower recipe.  They are rich in vitamins, antioxidants, fiber, and are suggested to be potent cancer fighters.  Try a new recipe tonight and get one of your five weekly suggest servings of cruciferous vegetables!




Caramelized Brussels Sprouts
nourishing-bites.blogspot.com

1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts
2 tablespoons grass fed butter or organic coconut oil, melted
1 teaspoon real salt
1/2 teaspoon organic sugar

1. Place a large rimmed baking sheet in the oven and pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.  Wash Brussels sprouts, trim off the bottoms, and peel and discard the outer leaves.  Cut sprouts in half.

2. In large bowl, drizzle sprouts with butter or coconut oil and toss until evenly coated.  Sprinkle with salt and sugar and stir to combine.  Don't be tempted to leave out the sugar.  It's only a little and it helps the veggies caramelize.

3. Remove the hot baking sheet from the oven.  Carefully transfer the sprouts to the sheet and spread them evenly.  Try to have the flat sides facing down.

4. Place the sprouts in the oven and roast until they're well brown and tender, about 20-30 minutes.  Serve hot out of the oven.


-Amy


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...