Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Nourishing Hot Chocolate (Dairy free, GAPS, Paleo)


Nothing feels better when you're chilled to the bone on a cold winter day than to drink a nice hot cup of cocoa.  It's amazing how a hot drink can warm you up and make you feel so much better. There are a lot of things I like about this recipe but what I love the most is that it isn't full of sugar. When my kids come in from playing in the snow I hate to hand them mugs of hot chocolate filled with sugar day after day. That's definitely not what their little bodies need to keep them healthy over the long winter. This recipe is sweetened with a little bit of honey so you can fill good about letting your kids drink it all season long.

I also love how rich and creamy this cocoa is and that it keeps me feeling full for hours thanks to a spoonful of grass-fed butter and coconut oil I throw in there. (And in case you've heard the rumors that coconut oil isn't healthy you just *might* have been hoodwinked. I love what this cardiologist says about coconut oil and what this researcher shares about who funded the studies that the American Heart Association based their claims on. Hmmm...)

This recipe is also incredibly flexible. Allergic to eggs? Leave it out. Not a huge fan of dark chocolate? Add less cocoa powder. Don't have any coconut oil on hand? Just double the butter. Do what works for you. Chances are you won't go wrong.





Nourishing Hot Chocolate
nourishing-bites.blogspot.com


Ingredients:

1 cup boiling water
1-2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 tablespoon grass-fed butter
1 tablespoon gelatin (I like Vital Proteins)
1 tablespoon honey or pure maple syrup
1 egg (preferably pastured)
small pinch of sea salt (I like Real Salt)


Directions:

1. Add all ingredients into blender pouring boiling water in last. Blend until smooth. Poor into mugs and enjoy. Serves 2.


Printable recipe


-Amy


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...