Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Zuppa Toscana (Dairy Free)


We love this soup at our house! This is one of the few soups my kids like--they always seem to like soups with potatoes best. To be honest I've never eaten Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana so I can't compare it to the original but I really don't feel the need to because I am completely in love with my homemade version. I've tweaked it over the years and feel like it's finally to the point of perfection.  I initially heard about this soup from my sister because it's her husbands favorite. I always love trying other peoples favorites and something new. The Italian sausage has just the right amount of heat to it so you feel like your eating Italian sausage but mild enough that even my two year old likes it. My version doesn't have kale because I actually want my kids to eat dinner and I knew they would revolt at cooked leafy greens. Cooked kale is actually the best way to eat it since cooking reduces all those pesky oxalates. Someday I'll have to try a kale version but for now I'm just glad they'll eat this soup.  I also use my favorite Aroy-D coconut milk to make this version dairy free. Give it a try and let me know what you think!

This photo is a little lacking since it was taken from the scant leftovers from the night before. I was happy to have something warm and delicious to eat for lunch on this cold winter day but it doesn't make for the prettiest picture. I've learned that a recipe doesn't have to be picture perfect to taste incredible but a little eye candy never hurts.





Zuppa Toscana
nourishing-bites.blogspot.com

Ingredients:

Italian Sausage:
1 pound ground pork
1 onion, chopped fine
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon dried parsley
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika

8 ounces smoked bacon, chopped
4 pounds yukon potatoes
4 cups homemade chicken broth
8 ounces coconut milk, (I like Aroy-D)
Salt to taste


Directions:

1. Place ingredients for Italian sausage in skillet and cook over medium-high heat until onions are soft and translucent and pork is cooked through.

2. Place cut up bacon in large soup pot and cook until brown and crispy. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and place in bowl for later. Leave bacon drippings in pot for added flavor.

3. Peel undesirable spots from potatoes but leave the remaining peel. Cut into bite size pieces. Add to soup pot along with chicken broth and cook until potatoes fall apart very easily with a fork. Stir in coconut milk, Italian sausage, and bacon. Serve.

Printable Recipe


-Amy





5 comments:

  1. Myasthenia Gravis Natural Remedies help to cure diseases, natural remedies have been arranged for all the aims and purposes of Myasthenia Gravis. Herbal Supplement for Myasthenia Gravis substitution on myasthenia gravis recover the tissues and muscles issues, and we present this case to build mindfulness and animate exploration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hydroceles, for the most part, are harmless to the testicles. They are normally painless and go away on their own. In any event, if you have scrotal swelling, consult your doctor to rule out other causes of Hydroceles, such as testicular tumours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. but you may still need extra help from nutritional supplements and vitamins to live a long, happy life. This article gives you an overview of the Best Men’s Health Supplements and Vitamins that will support your health in 2022

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...