Monday, May 13, 2013

Mom's Spaghetti Sauce


Growing up my favorite dinner was my mom's spaghetti.  When it was my birthday and I got to pick whatever I wanted for dinner, I picked spaghetti.  Then I went off to college.  And I ate a lot of spaghetti.  But not my mom's recipe.  I didn't have time to make that.  So I used the stuff in the jar, and it didn't take too long before I lost my love for spaghetti.  Several years later, after I was married, I decided to make my mom's recipe for dinner one night and I remembered why I loved spaghetti so much.

I always double this recipe since it will feed my family for three meals.  I put the leftovers into a mason jars and store them in the freezer until I'm ready to use it.

I find it surprising how hard it is to find a jar of spaghetti sauce at the store that isn't full of unhealthy oils and sugar.  There is much sugar in those little jars.  This recipe is so simple to make that you'll be compelled to leave those sugar filled jars behind.  This is a great meal to serve when company comes over.  I get so many requests for this recipe.





Mom's Spaghetti Sauce
nourishing-bites.blogspot.com

1/2 pound grass fed ground beef
3 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 tablespoon minced dry onion
1 tablespoon honey
1 1/2 teaspoons real salt
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon pepper.

In a large pot cook ground beef.  Stir in tomato sauce and whisk in tomato paste.  Add spices.  Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover.  Simmer for one hour (yes, it really makes a difference), stirring occasionally.  Ladle over hot, thin spaghetti noodles.

Printable recipe


Serves well with roasted cauliflower.

-Amy

2 comments:

  1. oh thank you so much. i've been looking for a healthy pasta sauce recipe that won't have me in the kitchen for hours at a time. i'm excited to try it. LOVE your new blog. thanks for sharing. katharine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking up at Family Fun Friday at http://happyandblessedhome.com! This looks great! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...